Benjamin Barker: The Not-So Demon Barber of Fleet Street

Wednesday, March 12, 2008

If you haven't seen 'Sweeny Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street', you are (a) dumb, (b) not inclined to watch musicals (c) crazy (d) lazy (e) idiotic (f) broke.
Well, if you aren't one of the above, then you have no reason whatsoever for not seeing the movie. We bought tickets one week in advance (well, Mona took the trouble to go and buy them, we just paid her back later) so that we had no reason at all for not catching it the weekend it released. The week went by quite quickly for me, because I knew that soon, very soon, I'd see a movie worth watching. My expectations were very, very, very high. Let's face it - it's a movie with Johnny Depp (Favourite Actor No. 3), Helena Bonham Carter (Girlfriend of Favourite Director No.1 and Bellatrix Lestrange) and Alan Rickman (Favourite Actor No.1 and Severus Snape, Favourite Character No.1). To add to this, it's a MUSICAL, directed by the above mentioned Favourite Director No.1, Tim Burton. How could I not have any expectations?
The morning of Sunday, 2nd March 2008, I woke up rather early, washed my hair, hailed an auto (after checking three times that I had my ticket) and rushed to Garuda Mall so that I could reach there early - just in case. Time of Arrival: 9:40 a.m. Time of Show: 10:20 a.m.
Being the punctual and naive fool I am, I expected everyone to arrive at least by 10 a.m, so I stood outside INOX waiting patiently, listening to some music. 10 o'clock came and went, and I started getting anxious. I longed to go inside and sit in the hall, munching on some popcorn and sipping my coke. But still, at 10:10, no one had arrived. Flustered, I sent Mona a message that I was going in to buy my popcorn and coke, and wait comfortably in the hall. I believe my message woke Mona up. Literally. They were fast asleep!
Looking quite pathetic, with two bags of Caramel popcorn and two large cokes in my lap, I sat down in the middle of a row, all alone. I watched a couple of annoying ads and ate a lot of my popcorn, when the others slowly arrived. After a couple of trailers, finally, the lights went out and all became quiet - the movie had started.
I knew that the movie was going to be brilliant the minute I heard the first few notes of the music. The opening credits and the music accompanying them reminded me of both Edward Scissorhands and Beetlejuice, my favourite Burton movies.
Ultimately, the movie did not disappoint. Listening to Johnny sing for the very first time on the big screen while looking oh-so-menacing was extremely satisfying. But the greatest treat of all was watching Alan Rickman, my hero, and Johnny Depp, enemies in the film, sing together in a beautiful duet.
Rating: 4/5



3 comments:

Prottusha said...

Try putting in a review for the poor souls who were (swear on God!)
f) broke.

Deepa said...

incidentally that WASN'T the first time johnny depp sang on the big screen. the first time he sang was in the 1990 movie 'Cry Baby'. it was this grease style musical that i unfortunately saw when i was too old to appreciate it. much.

jrod said...

upstage me, why doncha? =)

I've heard of it, although I never really wanted to see it. Some dumb chick flick, is it not?

 
These Is My Words - by Templates para novo blogger