My room...

Tuesday, March 11, 2008

My room is one of the most nondescript ones I've ever known, so I think it needs quite a bit of character. :P I've only lived in it about a year or two (which is quite small a duration, I assure you...!) , and since I haven't undergone any Major Emotional Upheavals (or so I like to think), I don't have any specific ties with the room, but what the hell.

[Aside: to exemplify what I mean, the room before this was my first-ever room-with-a-door, and I had my own music system there and so on, so it was Really Special. And the one before that, was the first ever time I had a room of my own (it wasn't a room really, just a little passage carved out) and as you've probably guessed, it didn't have a door. So in contrast, the present one is quite normal.]

Anyway, getting down to the descriptive bit. The big brown study table is the first thing one sees as one enters, and above this is a bookshelf. These two put together pretty much chronicle all my obsessions, and their passing as well - on the top is a series of scarily thick books with scarier names like "IIT Chemistry", "Objective Physics for Competitive Entrance Examinations" and so on - imagine! - remnants of my sister's school days. And then two shelves of my books, and my ever-messy desk. The side shelves of the study table are one of the biggest, mysterious exploring places, ever. A patient observer will, on close exploration, find various treasures such as old coffee mugs, bits of discarded dark chocolate, single earrings, old notes passed in class, etc.

On one of the edges hangs a silver medal I won in 2006 (sorry I couldn't resist boasting, haha :P) , a series of post-its containing to-do lists and - what most visitors find amusing - a ten-point program for Good and Healthy Living that my father has put up. This includes such gems as "No junk food STRICTLY", "Sleep latest by 11 PM", "Eat lots of fruits and vegetables", and such.

Right next to the table is the bed. Nothing much about it, really. Except that, ooh, this is the first bed I've had all to myself. Bed as in "BED". By that I mean earlier I used to sleep on the diwan. Which, apparently, doesn't count as a bed because it doesn't have that grand lil headpiece (whatever its called!) at its head. Again, under the mattress or the pillow and all that, you will find various odds and ends - double-ended pencils, bobby pins, old magazines , old newspapers, and perhaps several other things. Clearly, I seem to have this penchant for slipping away things distractedly in the oddest of places and then forgetting all about them.

I have a nice spacious closet, always in a mess, that I keep my clothes in...nothing much, again, to say about this. The closet undergoes several biennial (ok, ok...annual, let's say) cycles of organization. Time was when I would come home to find my mother just randomly cleaning my room herself, and the prospect so horrified me that I'd actually be motivated to do it myself.

At the other extreme of the room is my "music corner". This consists of a nice desk where I dump all my sheet music, my Hindustani music notebooks, and other assorted music-related stuff...I even preserve tickets to all the concerts I go to, and all. (Sentimental fop, I know). Next to that is my keyboard...strongly suggestive of past glory, but not imposing and sparkling, just a plain ole keyboard now. Above that hangs a picture of a three-year-old me that my mother very strategically put up, for all my friends to snigger at me, apparently...and it shall be said that its purpose has been served.

So that's that, then. My room. Nondescript and boring, by most counts, but home. :)

3 comments:

Prottusha said...

You really do have a penchant for descriptive writing. The piece was so reflective of your persona that I guessed it was your post before I saw your name. Do keep posting more stuff. I'm sure everyone will love to read them. Oh and in case I forgot to mention, it was a lovely read!

tinuviel said...

aww, thanks! :)

Deepa said...

haha neha i LOVED it!! i could actually hear you saying all that in my head :D

do it again? teehee.

 
These Is My Words - by Templates para novo blogger